nursetips
nursetips, Nurse
Experience:  I have experience in many fields of nursing including geriatrics, pediatrics, medical and surgical.
8377347

A few months ago I got a very bad urine smell after

A few months ago I got a very bad urine smell after having sex with a new partner. The smell went away after a few weeks and I also became non active sexually. Last night I had sex and my smell came back. What has caused this to happen?
Category: Health
Expert:  nursetips replied 8 years ago.

Hello.

Strong smelling urine usually indicates an infection. It is important to go to your doctor and have them test your urine when you are experiencing the strong odor. Sometimes you might feel burning or pain when urinating if in fact it is an infection. The doctor can test your urine and determine whether or not it is an infection. Strong dark urine is also a symptom of dehydration if you are not drinking enough. Either way when you have the symptoms it is very important to get it checked out. I hope this helps

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to nursetips's Post: Because it only seems to happen after sex could I have an std? I have been checked at planned parenthood for hiv clamidia and it was negotive..
Is there some other form of std that I may have? I dont think its lack of water because I drink plenty.
Expert:  nursetips replied 8 years ago.

Hello

I am pretty sure that if it were a STD it would not just give you symptoms after sex. It might just be that you notice it more then. I think that you should go to the doctor and have your urine tested for a possible infection.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to nursetips's Post: Could it be a liver or kidny problem? or does the symptom just seem to be a bladder infection? In your opinion.
Expert:  nursetips replied 8 years ago.
Kidney infections could show some of the same symptoms. Burning, or pain when peeing, strong odor. If the doctor did a urine test they would be able to also see if your kidneys are infected or not. They can draw blood to check Kidney fuction as well. If you have a liver problem usually the symptoms are yellowish skin and the whites of your eyes would be yellowish too. It doesn't sound like it is liver related to me. I hope this helps