Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

i am 41 and i have had my period for 7 months. when i ...

i am 41 and i have had my period for 7 months. when i donot have my period i have a very heavy white discharge
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

What investigations have you had?

Have you tried any medication?

How heavy is your period? How often do you change a pad or tampon?

Is it the same heaviness every day?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have been put on projestron but it caused vomiting and headaches. at times i bleed very heavy where i change tampon and pad every 1-2 hours and other times i can just wear a pad and changeit every couple hours. It is the same heavyness all day.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

If oral progesterone was not suitable then there are some other options. Occasionally Mirena coil is an option which may help, although takes a couple of months to settle down.

First thyroid problems needs to be ruled out with blood test. You also need transvaginal ultrasound to look for polyps or fibroids. In the absence of any specific cause in the uterus then you should consider endometrial ablation (assuming that you do not want any further children). Before that you should have blood tests to look for coagulation disorders, and full blood count to check for anemia.Medication such as tranexamic acid or mefenamic acid will also reduce flow.

If endometrial ablation does not stop the problem then hysterectomy is the ultimate choice but ideally we try other causes first.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my doctor persribed another form of progesterone and said if this does not work he would suggest a vaginal hysterectomy. That is without performing any other tests. I asked if about checking my thyroid because i have had some weight issues . he just recomended eat right and exercise. i do watch what i eat and exercise 4to 5 times a week.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

I would have the other tests run, they are simple to do and non invasive.

Vaginal hysterectomy even when ovaries are left may start menopause early and that can have other consequences, so trying other methods first is logical.

You may want to consider a second opinion from another Gyn before committing yourself.