Lance
Lance, Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Experience:  I have 27 years experience in the medical laboratory. I have been a specialist in Hematology for 22.
6960863

There is a chance that I may be pregnant, but not far ...

There is a chance that I may be pregnant, but not far (maybe only 2 weeks). With my first daughter, my breast began to get sore and larger, but I knew it wasn''t period related because I wasn''t supposed to start until another 2 weeks. Well this time it''s been about 2 weeks since my husband and I "slipped up" and here I am again two weeks later with swollen breast. My only worry is I have been using Tretinoin topical cream .025% for my acne every night before I go to bed and I know this contains vitamin A. I''m freaking out and I don''t even know if I''m pregnant. Is there a chance that even this small exposure could have harmed the baby?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lance replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

First thing I would do to try to ease your fears is to find out if you are pregnant or not. Get yourself a home pregnancy test and use the first morning urine specimen to test yourself. The first morning specimen is the most concentrated specimen of the day, so it will yield the best results. If you are not pregnant, then you can relax, but probably need to be more careful about risking getting pregnant....maybe change your form of birth control.

If you are pregant, then I would immediately stop using the acne cream and consult your doctor. The test done on this drug have shown birth defects if high (17X normal human dose) in animals. Do a web search for Tretinoin to read risk factors for pregnancy. Your dosage is so low that you are probably safe, but noone can rule out the possibility of birth defects. If you are pregnant, and concerned, your doctor may at some point want to do testing on the baby, and monitor with sonograms to make sure there are no problems.

I hope this helps ease your concerns. Good luck. Have a great day.

Lance