Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

I had my period around January 7 and it was over by the ...

I had my period around January 7 and it was over by the 10th, bright red. Which is typical for me to have such a short period. But then it started again on the 19th, this time it was dark and spotting. It also coincided with severe neck pains and shoulder/arm pains (right arm). Went to the ER for the pain and said it was strained muscles. Here it is Feb 1 and I''m still spotting. This is the first time it has happened. I have felt real tired, achy (also because of my neck and arm) and I''m not quite sure what could be causing this. I have a goiter but the doctor''s tell me my thyroid levels in the past were fine. I know the Thyroid could sometimes cause something like this. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

In order to help you better, can you tell me your age, if you've ever been pregnant, when your last pap was, have you ever had an abnormal pap, are you sexually active, are you taking any kind of contraception pill or shot, have an IUD, and tell me your list of medical problems and medications?

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am 30 years old. I had an irregular pap when I was 19 ( i had just lost my virginity), after a couple of ( I forget the procedure name, but they took samples and patched it up) About 3 of them, My pap was normal. I had a miscarriage at 20. I am married, sexually active, not on any contraceptions. My last pap ironically was around January 2 which came up normal. I am on Nexium,xanex (taken when needed for panic attacks) Balcofen(sp) muscle relaxer for my neck, but wasn't given that until after I had already started spotting and stopped taking it two days ago because of the way it made me feel. They also gave me a pregnancy test at the OB/GYN because I was late on my period and thought I could be pregnant. However, it came up negative.
When was your last thyroid test?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I want to say around October or November of 07.

Ok. Thank you for that information.

The first order of business would be to find out if you are having anovulatory or ovulatory uterine bleeding. Ovulatory uterine bleeding is gernally cause by fibroids, or infections. This would requiire a transvaginal ultrasound to confirm the fibroid and a pelvic exam to confirm if your uterus is tender to motion.

Before going to these tests, I would recommend a trial of progesterone to see if you have anovulatory uterine bleeding. If you havn't ovulated, then the lining of your uterus can thicken and become so thick that it starts bleeding. Taking this at the start of your next cycle is most effective, but can be taken for 5 to 10 days at any time. If this doesn't seem to help, than it is possible that you have an estrogen deficiency. Oral contraceptive pills would be the next thing I would recommend. If that fails to correct your problem, I would recommend working up the ovulatory uterine bleeding problems described in the last paragraph.

I hope you find this information helpful, and get better.

Dr. Cawlfield