Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

I HAVE GOUT THAT I INHARITED FROM MY FATHER. I HAVE HAD ...

I HAVE GOUT THAT I INHARITED FROM MY FATHER. I HAVE HAD BOUTS WITH IT FOR SEVERAL YEARS USUALLY INDOMETHACIN TAKE CARE OF IT IN A FEW DAYS HOWEVER, NOT THIS TIME I HAVE BEEN TACHING INDOMETHACIN FOR 6 MONTHS EVERY DAY IT CONTROLS IT BUT IF I STOP ITS BACK. ALSO I''VE TAKEN 24 TABLETS OF ALLOPURINOL WITH NO HELP. OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

This sounds like a difficult problem.

In order to help you better, can you give me a list of your medications and your other medical problems? Can you tell me if you have made any changes to your diet?

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
not sure how to spell.
atec for high blood pressure taken for years
Celexa to stumilate my seratonin level taken for 10 years.
No other problems except aces and pains from my past.
dad could not eat beef and i have cut out all beef gettintired of chicken. spice food like mexican seems to have no effect.i do exersise some at the jim slacked off due to winter and my problem.

Thanks for that additioanl information. Here are my suggestions:

I think that you may be taking your medications incorrectly. Generally, I tell my patients to take allopurinol every day whether they think they need it or not. Taking allopurinol on and off actually increases your chances of a gout attack. I like to have my patients start at 100mg a day and slowly work their way up to 300mg a day. While their adjusting to the allopurinol, I like to put them on a medication called colchicine. This isn't a good medication to take long-term, but it does seem to prevent gout while you're getting used to the allopurinol. After you've been on 300mg of Allopurinol for about a week, I would recommend stopping the colchicine. At that point, I would recommend taking the indomethacine only if you have an occasional gout attack.

The newest studies have shown that meat, seafood and alcohol have the highest risk of gout attacks. Low-fat dairy products, ascorbic acid and wine consumption appeared to be protective for the development of gout.

I have included a few links that go into further depth if you're interested.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524766

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/articles/372.html

I hope that this informatio helps, get better!

Dr. Cawlfield