Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

I have severe pain in the rectom sometime I cant ...

I have severe pain in the rectom sometime I can''t even walk. The pain comes and goes. About two years now. Been too doctors. Pain sometimes last a week at a time. The pain started after heavy lifting. And returns after lifting. One doctor said it could be a fissure, a nurse prac. said it might be pelvic floor something.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

In order to be of better assistance, I have a few questions.

Can you tell me if you have any trouble with urinary frequency, poor urine stream, feeling like you haven't emptied your bladder, or burning when you urinate?

Can you tell me if you ever had a rectal exam since you've had these symptoms?

Have you ever had a colonoscopy?

When your rectum hurts have you noticed any type of buldging near the anus?

Thanks,

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes I had a colonosopy, no polops come back in 10 years. Yes rectal exam by a specialist. My spelling is not good. No problems with bladder. A lot of gas. Stool seem to have srunk down not normal. No buldging in anus.
Any blood in your stool or difficulty evacuating stool? How long ago was the colonscopy?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Cawlfield's Post: Their is no bladder or urine prolbems. Yes I had a colonoscopy, no polops, come back in 10 yrs. No buldging in anus. Went to specealist for rectal exam. He said it was not a fissure. Pain somtime comes and goes just as fast as it comes on.Past week it has remained constant. I have lots of gas. Stomach burning, stool is srunk down small. I take medimucal everyday. Prilocec OTC twice a day.

Thanks for you additional information.

The symptoms you describe make me think of two possible problems.

The first is what's called solitary rectal ulcer syndrome. It is a condition in which the rectum (inside) constantly telescopes, or folds into itself. After enough time, this rubbing of the rectum during the telescoping causes an erosion of the lining forming an ulcer. These ulcers can be very painful and generally will become worse when straining because that's when the ulcer is rubbed or irritated.

Second, you may be having symptoms of a hernia. Particularly inguinal hernias can often refer pain into the scrotum and even around the rectum. This pain would also become worse with straining and lifting. Also, a hernia could potentially cause feelings of bloating, stomach burning, and may change the appearance of your stool.

I would recommend that you have yourself checked for an inguinal hernia and to have an anoscopy done to look for a rectal ulcer.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no blood in stool. colonosopy 1yr ago

Ok. Thanks. Here is the answer that is still applicable.

Thanks for you additional information.

Dr. Cawlfield