nursetips
nursetips, Nurse
Experience:  I have experience in many fields of nursing including geriatrics, pediatrics, medical and surgical.
8377347

my son was diagnosed w/an oral viral infection

Customer Question

my son was diagnosed w/an oral viral infection which has cause gum swelling/redness multiple blisters/canker sores all over the inside of his mouth, he''s febrile and not eating due to the pain, i''m giving him motrin q 6 hrs and tylenol w/codeine at night is there anything else i can give him to help the pain and to make the blisters go away faster? hes 32mos old and weighs 29lbs. thamk [email protected]
Category: Health
Expert:  nursetips replied 8 years ago.

Hello. You should go back to the doctor and ask him/her if they think a medication such as Nystatin would be something to treat the mouth symptoms that your son has. Also it is very important to make sure that he is drinking enough so that he does not become dehydrated. It is probably very painful for him so I would avoid any warm or hot liquids and give him cold things. The cold might help with the pain as well. I hope this helps you.