Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner

I have pimple like bumps in the vagina area - that become ...

Customer Question

I have pimple like bumps in the vagina area - that become sore when pus is present. I have not been sexually active in more then 2 yrs.How can these be prevented.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question mamxoxo43.

In order to better answer your question, can you clarify exactly where these pimples are in the vaginal area, are they on the labia around the opening of the vagina, or are they on the skin immediately around the vagina? Do you have any pimples anywhere else, like in the armpits?

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Cawlfield's Post: They are in the area around the skin, some inside. They appear inflammed and become sore. There are none anywhere else on my body.
Thanks for the additional information,Customer

The condition that you describe sounds like a disease called hydradenitis suppuritiva. This disease is caused by a dysfunction of the apocrine sweat glands in the genital area and in the armpits. The most common place for these bumps to show up is in the armpits, but it is not always the case. The problem is similar to that of facial acne, but is more difficult to treat. It is important that you lnow that poor hygiene is not the cause of this problem. This disease is often made worse by friction between the legs and increased moisture. Weight loss has been shown to improve the disease in many cases. Although it hasn't been clinically proven, antibiotics are the mainstay of treatment. I would recommend minocycline unless you are allergic to tetracyclines.

I have included a link to an article about hydranitis supuritiva on the american academy of family physicians website.

I hope that you find this information useful.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there an over the counter product I can use to alleviate or prevent this problem.
I had severe acne as a teenager - is this a result of that problem. Customer
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Look forward to your answer.

Thank you for your patience,Customer

I was out of town yesterday and unavailable. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of good over-the-counter remedies to alleviate hydradenitis suppurative. Some measures that have shown benefit are: weight loss, loose/comfortable clothing, avoiding conditions that cause excessive sweating (heat, humidity, and over-exertion), warm compresses, warm baths, and hypo-allergenic antibacterial soap. If these mesures fail to help the condition, I would recommend making an appointment with your doctor and/or a dermatologist. Please refer to the link in my last answer. There is a lot of good information about the disease and its treatment. Also, here's a link to a patient handout...

I hope you find this helpful. Take care,

Dr. Cawlfield.