nursetips
nursetips, Nurse
Experience:  I have experience in many fields of nursing including geriatrics, pediatrics, medical and surgical.
8377347

what is the effectiveness of doing nebulized normal saline ...

Customer Question

what is the effectiveness of doing nebulized normal saline treatments on children with rsv
Category: Health
Expert:  nursetips replied 9 years ago.

Hi. the neb treatments are used in children with RSV to open up the airways. A common medication that they usually use is Albuterol. I have seen them use just normal saline drops in each nostril and then use the bulb to clear out the nose if the child is very congested. RSV is a virus so they can not treat it with antibiotics. They just need to get the airways open so that the mucus doesn't clog the airways. I hope this has helped you

nursetips, Nurse
Experience: I have experience in many fields of nursing including geriatrics, pediatrics, medical and surgical.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to nursetips's Post: I am aware of the saline drops in nose but i wanted to know if just using the normal saline in the nebulizer would have any real effect.
Expert:  nursetips replied 9 years ago.

Hi

Is it JUST normal saline or is there medication mixed into it?

Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
There is no medical evidence that nebulized normal saline (0.9%) is effective for RSV, HOWEVER, there are a number of studies that show a higher concentration saline (3% or "hypertonic saline") is effective in reducing symptoms.