DoctorS, Doctor
Experience:  MD, 30 years of medical practice

My son is 15 years old. He has had chronic

My son is 15 years old. He has had chronic stomach aches/diarrhea for years. We''ve had him tested for Crohn''s, lactose intollerance, and he also drank barium for an "xray" of his stomach. All tests were negative. Two weeks ago, he had a flu bug that lasted about 7 days. He went back to school the following week, but this week he seems to have come down with some sort of stomach bug. He is very small for his age (86 pounds), so obviously he is NOT a big eater. When he was sick, he had very little to throw up so it was mostly bile.I gave him phenergan and he slept through the night, but the next day he was quite dizzy. Yesterday, after being home for 2 days, he went back to school. Last night, he started feeling badly all over again. Nauseaus, stomach ache....gave him another dose of phernergan and he slept through the night. Woke up again feeling dizzy and nauseaus. I KNOW something is wrong with my son.I am extremely worried that something could be seriously wrong.
Category: Health
Expert:  DoctorS replied 8 years ago.

Hi Southerhope1,

Has your son had any fevers? Has he been comting?

During this workup, did he have a colonoscopy where they take a camera and look at his intestines?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DoctorS's Post: No, they didn't. With his latest bout of flu/stomach virus, he did throw up and yes, he did run a fever. The highest it got was 101.5. He doesn't have any fever today.
Expert:  DoctorS replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like he might benefit from a colonscopy but if he continues to feel bad, you should probably take him to see your doctor. Things to make you get an appointment even sooner or go to the ER include things like vomiting, not eating, fevers, not having a bowel movement for more than a day or so more than usual or not being able to pass gas, or just generally feeling really sick.