Mary, RN
Mary, RN, Nurse
Experience:  25 years clinical hospital experience in Medical, Surgical, Orthopedics, Recovery Room.
8084538

I have scar tissue forming on the tendons of ...

I have scar tissue forming on the tendons of a recent wrist injury where surgery was involved. It is not allowing me to regain the use of hand and wrist. What can I do to break dwon the scar tissue to allow movement in the area? Are there any medications? diet & excerise?
Category: Health
Expert:  Mary, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello Pete,

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer.

I would like to help you with your question, but I need a bit more information.

Are you having pain with movement?

How long did physical therapy last, what treatments were done in therapy, and when was your last treatment?

What limitations of movement are you having with your hand?

Are you taking any medications now?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had therapy last Thrusday and the Therapist said I was only at 43% and it was due to the scar tissue. I have limited movement in my hand and wrist in both the twisting of my wrist and the closing of my fist. I am on no med's except Mortion occasionly. I've been in therapy for 6 weeks now, going 2X per week. The therapy has included massage, putty, hot sand & wax and the use of small weights.
Expert:  Mary, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello Pete,

Thank you for answering my questions.

I am relieved that you are going to Physical Therapy. Diligently following their directions in your therapy is what will help you to gain future movement. It is a slow tedious process, but the amount and type of movement encouraged by the therapist is what is critically important in your recovery. PT can often be recommended for 10 - 12 weeks. If the scar tissue is not exercised properly it can become hardened. The exercises should help to elongate the scar tissue if done correctly and will help with increasing your mobility. Perseverance is the key -- don't give up! There are no foods or medicine that can reverse the scar tissue, but you might discuss ultrasound therapy with your therapist if they have it available to see if it might help.

An article that might help you is here: http://www.handsurgery.org/pdf/flexorinjuries.pdf

If you found this information helpful please click accept so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Positive feedback is always warmly welcome.