Elizabeth
Elizabeth, Medical Assistant
Experience:  Medical Assistant to Women's Health Clinic and Military Medical Service for 4 years
5345583

My last period was 8/23/07 my cycles are about 26 days and ...

Customer Question

My last period was 8/23/07 my cycles are about 26 days and have been for the last year. My fiance and i have been trying for a baby for about 9 months. He was away for 4 days and came home on the 3rd of sept. On the 2nd of sept i had that ovulation pain on my right side which I usually get every month. We had sex everyday from 9/3 to 9/7 and he ejaculated in me each time. I then had a one time fling with an ex on Sept 9th or 10th but he did not ejaculate in me and I stopped it after about a few minutes cause i knew i was wrong. From the calculations online it looks as though i should have ovulated around the 3rd to the 5th of september. What are the chances of this being my fiance's child.My due date is 5/28/08 and I had an ultrasound done on 10/25/07 which showed i was 9 weeks then another ultrasound on 12/31 which showed a possibility of me being a little furthur by a few days
Category: Health
Expert:  Elizabeth replied 8 years ago.

Kelli

The chances are very likely this is your fiance's child. As you felt the ovulation on the 2nd and the intercourse with your fiance happened from the 3rd to the 7th, that would have been the most likely time for you to become pregnant. Usually, the window between ovulation and conception is very minimal, 2-3 days long. Since your "window" would have been expired by around the 5th, and you were with your fiance during that period, the chances are high that the child is your fiance's. Also, according to your timeframe on 10/25 of being 9 weeks along, that should calculate to approx. late August/early September. Therefore, it is most likely the 3rd or 4th of September when conception took place. I would have to believe this child is your fiance's. If there is any doubt after birth, however, you could always have a paternity test done, although it seems as though it will be unnecessary.

Elizabeth, Medical Assistant
Experience: Medical Assistant to Women's Health Clinic and Military Medical Service for 4 years
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer

If your last regular period was on 8/23, this means that conception occurred around Thursday, September 6th. While the egg is only viable for 24 hours, sperm normal live between 3-5 days, but in some cases can live between 7-10 days. The pull out method has a very high failure rate, as even though ejaculation may not have occurred, pre-ejaculate could have been present which contains sperm and can cause pregnancy. As you had intercourse with both around the time of conception, there is no way to know for sure by dates who the father is. The only way to know for sure would be paternity testing. This can be done during pregnancy is you are having amniocentesis or chorionic villi sampling done. Otherwise it is done after birth with a simple mouth swab test.