Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

i have recently suffered an a heart atttack with a stent ...

i have recently suffered an a heart atttack with a stent placed......since then I have developed atrial fibrillation   I am currentlly on rate regulating drugs ..digotek as wekk as coumodin....I would like to know the pros and cons of cardiac ablation therapy in treating my paxosysmal artrial fibrillation
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.

Whereas radiofrequency catheter ablation can be curative for atrial flutter, the same cannot be said for atrial fibrillation. However, the procedure can be extremely useful for managing atrial fibrillation in selected patients.

Atrial fibrillation may be linked to "focal" mechanisms curable by radiofrequency ablation in a small number of patients. However, such instances are rare. However, radiofrequency ablation also has several risks including the need for pacing and the risk of procedure-related complications. In addition, anticoagulation therapy is still necessary in the majority of patients, and in those with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, the need for antiarrhythmic medication may or may not be obviated. The timing of ablative therapy is a matter of clinical judgment, and patient preference also may be a factor.

To summarize, in your situation radiofrequency ablation procedure needs to be considered on the basis of your individual factors and your cardiologist' s clinical judgement.
It may or may not provide complete relief of your symptoms,
Read more here
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have been lead to believe by the specialists at NYU that ablation therapy is 80% successful is this true? also the digotek worked perfectly for about 3 months and it is only recently that symproms have recurred   What are your thought on this.   And if the fibrillation is erradicated by the procedure why would coumadin still be necessary? Do the risks of being on Plavix aspirin and coumadin encourage the need for an ablation procedure?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.
Depending on individual circumstances and the cardiologist experience the success rate may vary from 50 % to 80 %.
The risk of multiple medicines makes this option more viable in certain patients. Anticoagulant need will depend on the chances of recurrent ectopic beats and recurrent flutter/ fibrillation/ aberrant beats that may develop oafter the procedure.
If you are completely cured, then this may not be necessary,
Dr. Gupta