Nurse Michelle
Nurse Michelle, Registered Nurse
Experience:  6 Years Medical Experience, Specializing in Cardiac problems. Outstanding Problem Solving Skills.
8254843

My husband was just informed that his sodium in his blood ...

Customer Question

My husband was just informed that his sodium in his blood is low (134). Is this serious and what steps should we take?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Michelle replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Normal sodium blood levels are usually between 136 to 145. A critical value would be below120, and the person would start to experience weakness, confusion, and lethargy. Remember that wherever water goes sodium will follow, so when water loss occurs (through sweat, urination, diarrhea), sodium is also lost. Certain medications a person is taking such as: diuretics (lasix), NSAIDS (Naproxen), or ACE inhibitors (Lisinopril), can lower sodium blood levels. Too much water intake can also dilute the amount of sodium in the blood. 90 to 250 mEq (milliequivalents) are usually needed per day to maintain sodium balance in adults.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Michelle's Post: He is on blood pressure medicine along with a water pill daily. Is there a supplement that would help?
Customer

Diet therapy can help with mild low sodium levels (increasing oral sodium intake, and decreasing oral fluid intake). Sodium is one of our body's most important electrolytes (along with potassium, calcium, and chloride) and the slightest imbalance in one can throw another electrolyte off. Persons with high blood pressure need to restrict sodium intake, so be careful not to exceed 6 to 12 grams per day of sodium. It will also be helpful to weigh daily as this will give a good indication of fluid loss or gain. In addition, try to not exceed 1500 milliliters of fluid per day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Michelle's Post:

What is the conversion from millilters to ounces? I know my husband drinks 8 to 10 glasses of unsweeted ice tea a day. We live in FL and he does work outdoors so he does need his fluids.

Customer

8ounces = 250milliliters = 1measuring cup

so, 1500mL/250mL = approximately 6 measuring cups or 48ounces

also, 1500mL = 1.5 Liters, and 2000mL = 2 Liters (like a 2 liter bottle of pepsi)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you think that this is something that we really have toworry about? He has had several seizures over thepast 5 yrs. but the doctor said it was the result of a stroke and where the damage is in the brain. Thanks, Linda
Customer

I would not be too concerned unless the level continues to drop, or falls below 120, or he experiences the signs/symptoms we discussed before. Just be alert to whats going in and coming out of the body. Try keeping a weight log, and take it in to your family doctor at your next visit. Good Luck to you both.

Nurse Michelle, Registered Nurse
Experience: 6 Years Medical Experience, Specializing in Cardiac problems. Outstanding Problem Solving Skills.