Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I get severe muscle spasms in my legs both in bed and ...

I get severe muscle spasms in my legs both in bed and during the day,I got two bad fractures in my ankle due to falling with a spasm in my right leg
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

The muscle spasms or cramps are usually called as idiopathic as no cause is ascertainable. Water and electrolytes derangement (potassium, magnesium, calcium), parathyroid and thyroid disorders, drugs are usual findings to be blamed. Water and electrolyte replenishment, stretching exercises are helpful. Read the resource;

Hope this helps you.

Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My muscle spasm is not really painful, but leg stiffens up and I would fall if I am not near something to hold on to.I have fallen in the street and as I said I fell over the Xmas holidays and fractured my ankle and am now in plaster cast. My right leg is the worst, I thought the spasm was from a back injury that I got some months ago cutting a hedge, but the spasm were here long before that though more like a cramp then and mainly at night in bed , now I get them walking and also in bed. In bed if I wriggle my toes it goes away after a while, but I am most concerened by the tightening up of the muscles in my right leg whilst walking or standing, as this is dangerous. I fell in between two parked cars outside my office and could do nothing about it, hope you can help.
Laurence Kelly

Dear Laurence Kelly,

Though they commonly are not associated with any serious disorders, but with the intensity, frequency and your age, they warrant the investigations and subsequent management accordingly. A MRI of the spine can exclude the neurological causes for these muscle spasms. Myelography may be needed. Read here;

If your investigations are normal, you should consult a physiotherapist or physiatrist (specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation) to learn stretching regime for the lower limbs. Doing them in the morning and before bed time will take care of the severity and frequency or may abate it all together. Meanwhile drinking plenty of fluids and water and electrolytes supplement should also help you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have had physo to my back but did not seem to help.

Hello Laurence,

Your physiatrist or orthopedist can consider giving you some medications like gabapentin. Apart from back, physical therapy regime should involve the lower limbs. The physiotherapy should only be stretching exercises. Some strengthening exercises or exercises with weight may not help you. One of the cause of muscle spasms is fatigue. So see, you are not working or doing exertion beyond the capacity.

Dr. Arun