Daniel Nelson, MD
Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.
8322836

I have mitral valve prolapse and taking Atenol. I have a ...

I have mitral valve prolapse and taking Atenol. I have a history of high cholestrol of 248. At the moment I have no insurance and today I took a home test and my cholestrol is 235 and now I am anxious and throwing up and can''t sleep because I think I am going to die and I have no doctor. What do I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Daniel Nelson, MD replied 6 years ago.

Greetings. Thank you for submitting your question(s) to JustAnswer.com in the category of HEALTH. My name isXXXXX I am a licensed physician, trained throughout Internship, Residency/Fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN in the specialties of Internal Medicine and Critical Care.

HiCustomer Anxiety Disorder is often associated with Mitral Valve Prolapse. I am concerned that is playing a significant role in your vomiting and inability to sleep, as well as your fears of death.

It's important to characterise the degree and type of mitral valve prolapse for proper care and prevention of complications related to it. Eventually, I would really like you to have a good primary care physician who can be your "pivot person" for summarising and coordinating all of your care needs, including finding a good Cardiologist who can evaluate your mitral valve prolapse.

Secondly, it's important to not just know your total cholesterol, but also how it breaks down into "good and bad" cholesterol, your triglycerides, and some other blood lipid tests that will help guide diet, excercise, and medicine therepy, if needed. I have had patients with such high "good" cholesterols that their total cholesterol was elevated simply because of that aspect, and their "bad" cholesterol was perfectly normal, as were her other lipid tests. So your total cholesterol, while being elevated, needs to be broken down further into its various sub-components to be able to tell you what the next step is. Most often, the next step is dietary counselling and exercise recommendations. We try to give those a chance before moving on to medicines, in most cases.

In summary, it's going to be okay. You're not alone and you do indeed have support by our Experts here, and I would highly recommend that you take some time and find a good primary care physician or healthcare provider in the field(s) of Internal Medicine or Family Medicine. Everything can be coordinated from there. If you have any concerns regarding physician costs or affordability, I would like to refer you to this link:

http://ask.hrsa.gov/pc/ is an excellent resource for you to find free or affordable healthcare in your city or region.

The anxiety, as mentioned, is more common in patients with mitral valve prolapse than the general population. Best of all, it's also treatable with good counselling, patient education, and sometimes anti-anxiety medications.

Take Care.

Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.