Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

I have irregularities of the skin on my legs mostly, ...

I have irregularities of the skin on my legs mostly, starts out as red circle blotches of varying size and after a few days, has a crusty look on top of it...they are occurring more frequently all over both legs, one under shoulder, dont itch or hurt and never disappear..this has been going on for about 2 mo. have had biopsy 2wks ago, and not cancerous, but dont know what to do or why they occur and I need to know whom to contact..I am woman 73yrs old...appreciate any help..thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 8 years ago.

Do you have diabetes?

What medicines are you , if any?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I do not have diabetes. I do have high blood pressure and have had for many years...I take Cartia XT,Benazepril,Hydrochlorothiazide,Acebutolol,Clonidine....Clonazepam for restless legs...HAD BEEN ON VESICARE,but became too expensive, off that, using Oxybutynin for bladder control..

The description of the rashes sounds like either one of two conditions (a) contact dermatitis, or (b) diabetic dermatopathy, although you do not have diabetes.

Contact dermatitis is a type of allergic dermatitis. It can cause the leakage of blood from the blood vessels causing the reddish splotches that you see. It wlll also cause inflammation of the skin with leakage of serum - drying of this serum will cause the rash to crust over. Although most cases of contact dermatitis cause itching, in some cases, itching may not occur.

Diabetic dermatography is a condition in which the blood vessels of the skin can get damaged leading to leakage of blood and serum.

For the treatment of contact dermatitis, apply a warm compress over the blotches for 10 minutes 3 times a day. Your dermatologist must have prescribed a steroid ointment for you. If not please use an OTC steroid like 1% hydrocortisone thrice daily.

Please ask your doctor for blood tests for the platelet level as a low level of platelets can cause leaking of blood into the skin - this is called purpura.

Also ask your doctor for a test called GTT to identify latent diabetes.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated