Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Hi,at age 13 i started having fairly bad acne for 3 ...

Hi,at age 13 i started having fairly bad acne for 3 years..Then started taking Roacutane and took that for about a year,after 4 months my skin was pimple free. Once i stopped the Roacutane after several months, i started getting pimples again,so i went on a milder prescription drug called Minocylin(Microtabs).I have been on that ever since and am now 22 years old..It does not work as well as the Roacutane but the side effects are a lot weaker.I still get pimples and it is very annoying, i have truly had enough of it and its bringing me down, i get them on my chest and back and the scars from the pimples i got when i was 13 are very bad.. Does anyone know something i can do to truly get rid of the pimples for good.. I mean the Minocylin tablets are working but still get bad breakouts sometimes. My diet is very good, balanced of manly carbs and protien because i go to the gym,, but the other essentials aswell, i take a veery expensive multivitamin aswell. Dont know anymore please help.
There are a few things that you can try ...
  1. Alternative medicine like Homeopathy has been known to be quite effective in treating pimples
  2. Local steroid injection (like KENALOG) for immediate relief in severe acne
  3. Using Benzoyl Peroxide based skin preparations regularly to reduce the frequency / severity of these episodes of pimple recurrence,
regards
Dr. Gupta
While Roaccutane is associated with a number of potential serious side effects, it is one of the most effective treatments for severe cystic acne.

There are a number of medications in the same class (retinoids) that are used topically rather than orally such as tretinoin (Retin-A), adapalene (Differin), tazarotene (Tazorac) Since you had good results with Roaccutane, one of these medications may be a good choice.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000115/357.html
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I used the benzoyl Peroxide for about a year and it kind of work but not good enough.. and i am elergic to the steroid injection.. I will try homeopathy, never heard of it but ok. One more thing,, all these miracle e-books on the internet about getting rid of acne in three days and all the american "natural" tables that companies are trying to sell,, what do you think of these thankyou.. There is a e-book that i downloaded and says eat only apples for three days, as much as you want but only apples and water, and your acne will be gone forever,, if i tried this im sure it would come back after a while, thanks.
You may also want to speak with a dermatologist about photodynamic therapy (Blue Light Therapy)
http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/pdf/bluelightacnetreatment-dermnetnz.pdf
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
There is evidence to suggest that homeopathy works in Acne,
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/50213
Here is one such article.
In my personal experience as a physician, I have also experienced the same with some of my patients of recalcitrant acne too.
Another reference with some specific meds
http://www.mainehealth.org/mh_body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=2872&action=detail&AEProductID=HW_CAM&AEArticleID=hn-2192001&AEArticleType=Cam#hn-2192001-also-indexed
Regards
Dr. Gupta