Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My son is an equipment operator, recently he had what I

Customer Question

My son is an equipment operator, recently he had what I call "the crud". He said he didn''t believe it was flu. There were other employees who were sick, one had pneumonia. Some went to the doctor, some missed work. My son missed one day, but was miserable for about five or six days. After he had improved & thought he was over it he realized his vision in his left eye has changed. This happened during or after he was sick. For instance he can close one eye and read everything on a computer screen and cover the other eye and he can not even tell there are letters on the screen. He says it feels really scary.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

This needs evaluation, first by a an ophthalmologist and if he refers to a neurologist.Sudden blurring, fogging, or diminution or loss of vision needs answer. This can be because of eye causes or neurological causes. Ischemia is the most common mechanism of acute visual dysfunction, and it can affect any aspect of the visual system. Ischemia reduces delivery of oxygen and other important nutrients to tissues, causing metabolic compromise of cells. Functional deficit may be temporary or permanent, depending on the degree of damage.

There can be other reason too, which can only be ascertained by the examination. Read here;

http://www.eyeandear.org.au/training/EYELectures/Sudden_Loss_of_Vision.pdf

Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help & you might be interested to know that I went with my son to see the regular eye doc (I had to drive home after exam) & this doctor (which has high tech equip.) couldn't find a thing. He said he's not comfortable with the "Let's wait & see how the eye gets approach", so he scheduled an app. for the next day with a specialist. The specialist found a "blister" in the eye (L). He said the problem is stress related and it happens in men Kevin's age,35, ( as a rule)& that it should naturally reseal within a few months. The other alternative was some sort of procedure which would involve inserting a needle into the problem area to correct it, but the doc said he'd rather it heal on it's own. We agreed. He now has an appointment for early March with the specialist in Shreveport in one month to make sure it is "resealing". Thank you again for your help. JMHarrod

Dear J M Harrod,

I am so happy for keeping me updated. The good news is that it is something which would be self limiting and would heal spontaneously. With this check up and medical opinion, we all will have no anxiety at all.

Wishing a very speedy recovery to your son.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Arun