Lani, BSN, RN
Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience:  A Registered Nurse for 19 years.

What can happen to a person;s left hand when a nurse ...

What can happen to a person;s left hand when a nurse has let an IV in your hand and the IV was not in the vein and when my husban found me he actually thought that it was grangreous. He ran for help He grab a doctor and a case managment nurse and when she sen it she stated what the hell had happen and the doctor his mouth dropped out and he gave her 10 seconds to get it out, then he started jrking it out so I was to know the ramications. IT HAS BEEN 4 WEEKS AND MY HAND IT STILL SWELLING AND HARD TO USE IT.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

In order to be of more assistance, it would help me to know what kind of medication was going through that IV. Was it just saline fluid, or were there medications in the IV? A list of your medical problems may be helpful as well.

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Fengen, Dolite,dopemean cymbalta, and several they had to put in a pick line because they had busted so many,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so what could it do? can it cause peremte damage ( i hope not) plase advise I am geting nervous since it does not appear to getting better. I had an x-ray today but it is driving me no to know.please answer so that I can prepare my self from it getting well to there could be alittle danger

Charalena Sena
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what more information. I just want to know the possibilities

Expert:  Lani, BSN, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello Charalena,

The other expert appears to be offline and it seems you are waiting for an answer so I would like to help.

The situation you mentioned is one of the common complications of intravenous solution - it can be infiltration or extravasation. That happens when the solution gets in the surrounding tissues.

Depending on the severity it may had caused only significant local reaction, skin discolored, bruising, considerable swelling. Sometimes the kind of drug injected could have severe harmful effects.

Circulatory impairment or nerve defect can be expected if there is severe edema or swelling but it will be unlikely to have permanent damage. Possible infection (cellulitis) can also happen anytime. At the worst, it can end up to developing into necrosis (death of cells) when the tissues are severely deprived of blood supply due to vasoconstriction. The following bad consequence would be not only permanent damage but possibly losing the hand. Do not be that scared as that situation happens rarely.

If your hand has no severe swelling now, then you need not to think of worst possibilities. With due treatment and care it is supposed to improve shortly.

I hope that helps. Let me know if there is something you need to clarify.

Take care!

Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience: A Registered Nurse for 19 years.