Hawaii-MD, Doctor
Experience:  Graduated from Brown University. Residency at Yale New Haven/Tripler MC. Battalion Surgeon in OIF V.

I am having an unusually heavy period and have passed a ...

Customer Question

I am having an unusually heavy period and have passed a number of clots, some of which are pretty big. It''s been heavy for the past three or four days and prior to that had spotted for about a week. Should I go see my OB/GYN?
Category: Health
Expert:  Hawaii-MD replied 8 years ago.
Not necessarily. If you are really concerned, yes. However, having a heavy menstrual cycle in and of itself is not a cause for concern unless you loose so much blood that you are symptomatic. If you have no other medical problems and are not pregnant, heavy bleeding can be easily fixed by taking NSAIDs such as 800mg of Motrin or 500mg of Naproxen twice a day. If you continue having a heavy menses then you should probably see your OBGYN. He'll do a few blood test and probably start you on an OCP taper to help stop the bleeding. I recommend seeing your OBGYN if you bleed (soak) > 1 pad/hr on the average.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Anaya's Post: The clotting is not a problem?
Expert:  Hawaii-MD replied 8 years ago.
No, not necessarily. If you continue to have these symptoms every cycle this may represent uterine fibroids and should be investigated.