Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Hello, my friend is in hospital right now with severe ...

Hello, my friend is in hospital right now with severe complications of the blood disorder ITP. She is expiriencing bleeding in her brain with boots of inability to speak. Last night she awoke and could not swallow. She is in a hospital in Fl. and was told she would be transferred to the medical teaching hospital in Gainsville, Shands. Today she was told the doctor there would not accept her due to her uninsured status. She is devasted. She was to have brain surgery there to discover any underlyling disease and her current hospital is not staffed with an experienced surgeon to do the surgery. What is she to do? Her tx. today was to get massive doses of IV steroids. Please help--nowhere else to turn. PS. Her Dr. took her brother aside and told him to take her across the bay to an emergency room where they would have to admit her. Is this advice even legal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
I am truly sorry to hear about frineds problems,
It is sad that a lack of insurance prevents people from getting aprpopriate treatment in the USA.
IV steroids and IVIG therapy may help stabilize the patient, so trying to get IVIG (Intravenous Immunoglobulin) may help in her case.
Other than this shifting her in this condition is not something that I would recommend, since a patient with a brain bleed can deteriorate in minutes.
I am not able to comment about the legality of the advise given by the doctor, but I am assuming that he had the best interest of the patient in his heart, and knows about the limitatins of treatment in the present health care setup, and hnce has suggested a different course of action,
regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.