Dr. J
Dr. J, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Currently training in Cardiology
7671428

I am a 63 year old man and after years of my blood pressure ...

Customer Question

I am a 63 year old man and after years of my blood pressure being perfect I now find I am 160/97. Do I need to see a Dr and do you think I need high blood pressure medicine? How much trouble am I in? Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. J replied 8 years ago.

Deat Joe,

is this a one time reading or has it been this high for a while?

any chest pain, passing out, diziness, shortness of breath, vision changes?

any other medical problems?

any other medications?

Dr. J

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes .at my physical in June I was up to 138/87 I think. I take high colesteral, Wellbutrin to help quit smoking and acid reflux medicene. I walk 16 to 20 miles per week I am 5'6" and have lost weight to approx 164 lbs. I quit smoking on Nov 13th
Expert:  Dr. J replied 8 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

138/87 is not too bad, could be a little lower. I think the weight loss and stopping smoking was the way to go. The exercise is great too. A one time blood pressure reading of 167 is not terrible and you don't seem to be experiencing any symptoms that worry me that it is too high all the time. Blood pressure is affected by stress, pain, exercise, caffiene, etc. I would recommend that you avoid caffiene keep doing what you are doing (exercise, weight loss) and hopefully that will control your blood pressure. that being said, as we get older our blood pressure naturally increases but that doens't make it okay. Check in with your doctor in the next week or so for another blood pressure check, if it's still high he or she may want to start you on a small dose of medication, but I wouldn't throw meds at you for a one time reading.

Good Luck,

Dr.J

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate you help. Joe