Mrs. E Brush
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Experience:  RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"
7454593
Health

I have an uti but I aslo have a few sores on my vagina ...

I have an uti but... Show More
I have an uti but I aslo have a few sores on my vagina what could they be?
Category: Health
replied 8 years ago.
Hello! Can you describe what the sores look like? Color? Drainage? Are they painful? How long have you had them?
Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mrs. E Brush's Post: There are some red bumps on the lip of the vagina. there are two sores that look like a withe round dot. they dont hurt and I hadnt noticed any drainage
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse replied 8 years ago.

It will be necessary for you to have a swab (or skin scraping) of these sores for a definitive diagnosis. I will provide you with a phone number at the bottem of this answer that you can call for a referral to a low cost clinic or for more information. Diagnosis is impossible without physical exam; however, based on what you are describing I would suspect this could very well be an infection of the herpes simplex virus. This presents differently in different people but it usually is accompanied by discomfort- that is why I think you really need to have a physical exam to rule this out and in the meantime, treat the infection as if this is what it is and be careful not to have sexual contact with others because this can spread the infection. You will need to get a viral culture of the spots and possibly a blood test to detect the herpes antibodies. Antibodies to HSV are specific proteins that the body creates and releases into the bloodstream to fight the infection. HSV IgM antibody production begins several days after a primary (initial) HSV infection and may be detectable in the blood for several weeks. HSV IgG antibody production begins after HSV IgM production. Concentrations rise for several weeks, fall, and then stabilize in the blood. Once someone has been infected with HSV, they will continue to produce small quantities of HSV IgG.

It may also be possible that this is a type of the human papilloma virus infection, which may be indicated by the white round dots that you describe. This again is why a culture must be preformed with lab tests to determine the actual cause of these lesions.

National Sexually Transmitted Disease Hotline:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>
Information and referrals to free and low-cost public clinics. Operators can answer general questions on prevention, symptoms, transmission and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. Open 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn.cfm

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mrs. E Brush's Post: I have been tested positive for the hpv virus,

Given this information then I would suspect that these are genital warts. These are relatively easy to treat, however, do NOT use over the counter wart removal medications... these are not intended for the sensitive skin of the vagina. Rather, you can see your gyn for a simple laser removal surgery, chemical removal or a 'freeze off' procedure. Depending on the size of the warts and his or her decision will determine the best process of removal. Bear in mind that these are sexually transmitted and can be passed to your partner so it is important to avoid sexual contact with this area.

I hope this is helpful to you; please remember to press accept and feel free to contact me if you have anything to add or if you wish to clarify the information that you need.

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
are sores from herpes hard?
Herpes sores are more likely to be like blisters- the sores that you are describing sound more like genital warts.
Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mrs. E Brush's Post: Should I expect any kind of discharge from the bumps they seem to be going away, but there is a little bit of pus like a pimple

This information is different. The sores that do not have drainage are indicitive of the HPV infection that you have been diagnosed with previously and would need removal by your gyn in office. The sores with the pus are not indicitive of the HPV infection and rather, are more likely to be the herpes infection that I discussed earlier- it is most likely that these are two unrelated infections and diagnosis is important to be preformed by swab in office and physical exam.

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
I have an appotiment on monday I just want to try and get myself ready for what it could be. So you think It might be something different fron hpv or herpes by what I am telling you?

HPV would appear as a flesh colored or reddish/pink or gray bump or flat raised spot. I understand by the clarification of your question that these lesions are pimple-like, hard and red and that they seem to have a head of pus... this indicates the HSV (herpes) infection is likely to be present. There is a possibility that this could be folliculitis (infected hair follicles irritated from shaving), however, based on what you are describing and that you are going to your monday appointment I would brace myself for this diagnosis. This can be hard to deal with but it is just another medical factor to manage in your overall health; it doesn't change who you are. It is important to practice careful methods of preventing the transmission of this infection to others: beyond this and being healthy and responsible for yourself, you can deal with it whatever the news is. Unfortunately the only way to be sure is by that swab and culture that I discussed.

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
So my boyfriend and I could of had this for a long time and never had any symptoms until now? we have been together for 9 months both of us had never seen any of these and I am the only one to have them

Yes it is entirely possible that you have had both of these infections for the duration of the nine months that you have been together. In fact, most people don't know they are infected because their symptoms are too mild to notice or mistaken for another condition. Symptoms such as the outbreak you may be having right now will be exaccerbated by stress or depressed immunity (such as having the flu, etc). Additionally, your boyfriend may react differently to the same virus that you have- he may be asymptomatic while still having the infection so it is important for him to have an antibody titer blood test done for a diagnosis. He may never show symptoms but it is important for him to know because he can pass the infection on to others without showing symptoms.

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
how long do the outbreaks last Mine are almost gone it's been less than a week can they go away that fast?   They arent having any pus I am about to start my period so it was just my normal discharge. Thank you so much for your help
Unfortunately herpes outbreaks aren't easily characterized by how long they last... because symptoms vary so drastically it's really impossible to say that they should last 'x' amount of time... in fact, even the blisters don't necessarily look the same person to person (may appear as pimples all the way to looking just like a raw rash)... that's why the swab by the doctor is really the only definitive diagnosis. Avoid picking at the lesions and keep the area clean and dry, especially given that you are having that increase in discharge with your cycle (which can make it difficult to stay dry) to avoid skin breakdown in the area which can make other infection possible. I know it's really hard to wait until monday, I can understand your stress. Try to distract yourself from this (though I know you probably won't really be able to take your mind off of it). Without the viral culture and blood test you really won't be able to know if this is folliculitis (infection of the hair follicles) or herpes.