Mary, RN
Mary, RN, Nurse
Experience:  25 years clinical hospital experience in Medical, Surgical, Orthopedics, Recovery Room.

My ears have flaky dry skin, there is some itching

I have had dry, flaky skin inside my ear channels for some months now. It itches a little and the new dead skin, it seems, forms on a daily basis.

These are symptoms that represent what is called "swimmers ear". Moisture from bathing or swimming becomes trapped in the ear canal and causes an external ear infection from bacteria or fungus. Treatment is usually antibiotics and/or hydrocortisone lotion from your physician or ENT MD.

When you bathe, use ear plugs to try to keep any water from entering your ears. Never try to dig out excess wax or dead skin, as this may injure the tissue and cause more problems. If you have ear wax build up, go to a physician and have it removed so as to prevent it from becoming lodged farther into the ear canal. Try to keep your ears clean and dry.

I'm including a site that will give you more information. After reading it over, if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you have found this information useful, please click accept so that I may get credit for assisting you. Feedback is always welcome