Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

my eyes beging watering when I wake up and dont ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my eyes beging watering when I wake up and don''t stop until around noon.   Is there a way I can stop the watering? Or prevent it altogether?
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

Most often if people wake up with irritation and tearing, they have a common condition known as blepharitis. The diagnosis is confirmed if there is yellowish deposits at the eyelashes, the lashes are stuck together or the lids are stuck together. It is a low grade inflammation along the lid margins and eyelashes. Usually I recommend 3 things to treat and control this condition.

1) Heat packs applied to the lid for at least 5 minutes 1-2 times daily

2) get baby shampoo and mix 1 part water and 1 part shampoo, and use this on a moist washcloth to rub and cleanse the lids and lashes, paying particular attention to the base of the lashes

3) In severe cases, I recommend an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment, such as erythromycin ointment to be used at the lashes once or twice a day

If you do steps 1 and 2, you may be able to treat and control this condition and may not need an antibiotic, however if this fails, you may need to see your doc and he can prescribe you antibiotic opintment.

If this sounds like what you have, the treatment plan should help, if not let me know what else you see in your eyes so we can help you.

Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no yellowish deposit or sticking of the eyelashes.   The watering usually starts once I brush my teeth(always a little gag reflex while brushing my tongue), splash my face with water and start getting ready and is a constant slight flow of tears for a few hours.   I have to keep dabbing at the outside corners of my eyes throughout the morning.
I am willing to bet they are irritated, perhaps from heaters being on while yore sleeping and they are causing your lacrimal glands to tear to help with the underlying irritation, I would recommend a lubricant such as Refresh Liquigel few times in the morning to see if it helps your tearing. If one side is considerably worse, you may have a tear duct blockage but that should be a constant issue not till noon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've tried the Refresh drops, but I'll try the gel.   thanks!!
Liquigel or even Celluvisc are more viscous and provide more relief, the regular tears are pretty watery. Take care and no need to press accept again.