Mrs. E Brush
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Experience:  RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"
7454593

Can you have trich for 2 years and not know it

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Mrs. E Brush replied 6 years ago.
Hello! Are you referring to trichinosis, the intestinal disease associated with eating undercooked pork?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mrs. E Brush's Post: no the std. I am told its only transmitted sexually but im afraid my daugther might have it too. when i had a pap test in feb and std screening a wet prep was never done so i dont know if i was ever tested for it in feb of 07 so i need to know if it is possible to have it asymptomatically for over a year and if it can be transmitted thru washclothes the only reason i went to get checked out was because of my need to urinate i thought it had a uti. and my daughter has been complaining for a while about pain and itching in her vaginal area and painful urniation for some time but my understanding is that over time uti's progress and become worse she has not gotten any worse. in about 9 months.

Oh, thank you for the clarification to your question : ) Trichomoniasis is a parasitic infection of the vagina that can be passed person to person by sexual contact most often but it can also be passed by contact with moist surfaces (such as a towel or washcloth as you suspect). It is also known to be possible to be transmitted by contact with the genitals on a wet toilet seat. Many women (most in fact) do not have symptoms and can have the disease over a long period of time because of this. It is entirely possible for this reason that you could have had this over the last years without knowing it... and that your daughter could have become infected if the towels were shared in this way. Symptoms will show differently in different people so her mild-moderate irritation could certainly be related to this. Treatment is relatively simple with medications such as metronidazole (also called Flagyl), or with a related drug, tinidazole. I hope this is helpful in answering your question. I will provide you a toll free telephone number in case you wish to speak with a sexually transmitted disease specialist for referral to a testing place or other support. Please remember to press accept and feel free to contact me if you have anything at all to add!

National Sexually Transmitted Disease Hotline:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>
Information and referrals to free and low-cost public clinics. Operators can answer general questions on prevention, symptoms, transmission and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. Open 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok so here is the sinario. I started dateing my boyfriend in june of 06 i got tested for std's but there was no wet prep done. is the only way to diagnose trich thru a wep prep? because if it is then i was not screened for trich and could have possibly had it before we started dating or could have contracted it from him before i had my tests done. i know i have been faithful to him and i am pretty confident in him doing the same i just dont want any accusations flying around but i guess if my daughter has it then he cant all out call me a cheater can he cause that puts a whole nother infection probability. right? im sorry im so complicated.

Don't apologize, that's what I'm here for!! : )

Okay, you started dating your boyfriend in June of 06 at which time you were tested for STDs but no wet prep was done. This is diagnosed by a special lab test where the doctor would take a sample of the discharge and send it away to be specifically tested for this... sometimes the infection is suspected because of an abnormal pap smear but the only way to diagnose trich is by specifically testing for it. So, it is entirely possible that if you were asymptomatic and you got lucky with a normal pap smear, then this was missed at this time. Additionally if the pap smear was going to detect the infection (again, just that there was an infection, not what it was) it probably wouldn't have done so if you were getting your testing this early if you got it from him.

Your concern is accusations of cheating. This is not any kind of definitive evidence of cheating because the infection can remain latent for such a long period of time, because it is almost indectable in men in most cases (meaning if he had it he wouldn't have known and he certainly would not have been routinely tested for it), and because of the variance in how this disease can be contracted. Though it is a sexually transmitted disease in most cases, it is also caught from contact with damp surfaces like a toilet seat, a shared towel, a borrowed bathingsuit, etc. It is worth noting that this can live for SEVERAL hours in a damp surface like a towel, meaning it did not require you to shower with your daughter or have quick contact with a material of this sort...This genuinely is not a reason to accuse him or to be accused of being a 'cheater'.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i started dating him in june o6 got pap in feb 07 does that change anything?
It truely doesn't. Though if the infection was severe it could have caused an abnormal pap, that really isn't how this is diagnosed. The only way to diagnose trich is by a sample of the vaginal discharge and a specific lab test for this : )
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
:) ok and one last thing if i went in to be screened for uti and they took a urine sample and the sample is negative for uti but i still have symptoms would it have made sense for the doc to believe maybe i was using too much soap or perfume there or should he have tested me? because the urine would not have shown trich either right?

I promise i will accept im just so worried and you are the only person willing to talk to me i keep getting rushed off the phone with the er and i was rushed out of the er yestereday when diagnosed. she said they only way i could have gotten it was sexually and that it could not have had it for that long i just have so many question that no one has time for.
Sorry it took me a minute to respond, I went and had lunch : ) I'm really not sure why they would have told you that at the ER, that is completely not true. This is an infection that is more likely to be sexually transmitted, but it is entirely possible that you got it as an STD a long time ago or that it wasn't even sexually transmitted and rather from sharing towels, etc. You may be reassured that what I am telling you is correct by also speaking with the specialist on the toll free number I gave you if you are comofortable with speaking with someone on the phone and if you need that 'second opinion' just for back up peace of mind. Additionally, it (a vaginal infection) would not have shown in a urine sample, no. The only thing that would have shown from the urine would be bacteria indicating a UTI. If a doctor thinks you have uti symptoms with no bacterial/fungal or otherwise infection present then it is likely that he or she will determine that the irritation could be from something such as scented soaps or cleansers (these will dry out skin which gets very painful when touched with the acidic nature of the urine). He or she probably did not suspect trich at that time just because you weren't showing symptoms vaginally... this is the reason that these infections can go on so long without showing up or being diagnosed.
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Experience: RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"