DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

life expectancy of a person with 10% liver function and cirr

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
person is diagnosed with cirrhosis of liver, acides, and is said to have 10% liver function, has been a big beer drinker over his lifetime, is 67 yrs old, . Wondering how long he can function/live if he stops drinking
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

It is known that 10 % liver function is compatible with life.

However, if this person has already reached the limit, then he has no reserves left. He is vulnerable to develop lver failure in the event of stress.

This fellow is better adviced to keep away from alcohol, high protein diet.

The liver has a wonderful capacity to regenerate but the scarring in cirrhosis prevents regeneration. He may loose the present function if he does not quit drinking. If he continues to drink , there is less than 50 % 5 year survival.

The deaths due to cirrhosis are due to complications. The complications become less likely eith abstinence & early medical care. Also the morbidity decrease with abstinence.

This is not a question of how much the risk decrease on stopping alcohol intake. This is a chance to improve probability of survival. The benefit is priceless-- a chance to longer & better life. percentages dont count.

Why not enroll him with Alcoholic anonymous/ detox program.

For a patient friendly discussion of cirrhosis, please visit-

http://mayoclinic.com/health/cirrhosis/DS00373

Hope this helps.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr.NK
__________________
This communication is open till you are satisfied. Please click accept if I had answered your question. Good feedback/bonus is welcome.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Niraj Kalore's Post: Patient has considerable acides, cannot bend over to put on his socks, now taking emulose. Obviously this is one of the complications, is the acides reversable so he can have a normal couple of years?
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
helloCustomer

What do u mean by acides? is it acidity?
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

I got it. U have alcoholic liver cirrhosis with portal hypertension with 10 % liver function with ascites.

The ascites indicates portal hypertension. This is due to blockage of portal ducts in liver due to scarring.

The ascites requires diagnostic & therapeutic tapping & medications like propranolol, nadolol to decrease portal pressure.

Ascites is reversible. It responds to medications.

Besides this I would not hesitate suggesting to consider a liver transplant at a future date. It is successful in more than 80% cases nowadays.

Hope this helps.

Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr.NK
__________________