BLG RPH
BLG RPH, Pharmacist
Experience:  8yrs Pharmacist experience including 3 years clinical and 3 years management.
8142433

Can Azithromycin cause night sweats

I am taking Azithromycin 250mg for a cold. I have experienced 3 nights where I wake up soaked in sweat. Could this be caused by the med I am taking?
Submitted: 8 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  BLG RPH replied 8 years ago.

Megan,

After researching for even rare side effects, I can say with a high degree of certainty that it is not at all likely that the azithromycin is causing your problem. It is most likely related to your currant infection (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/night_sweats/causes-common-cold.htm). It was actually even listed in the package insert that when used in combination with Rifabutin (another antibiotic), or when used alone for a serious lung infection called Mycobacterium Avium Complex one of the symptoms of the disease shown to decrease was night sweats.

Hope this helps at least with explanation.

-Ben

PLEASE CLICK ON THE *GREEN * ACCEPT BUTTON FOR THIS ANSWER SO I MAY RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY WORK. PLEASE ALSO LEAVE *POSITIVE FEEDBACK* IF MY ANSWER HELPED YOU.