Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

WHAT CAUSES A LYMPH NODE TO SWELL IN THE CHEEK

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
my daughter had a canker sore in her mouth and her cheek was swollen. we went to the dr and he sent us to the dentist because he thought it was an infected tooth. After x-rays and a check with the dentist. He said she had a canker sore and it wasn''t a tooth. I asked him what would make her cheek swell and after examining her he said that her lymph node in her cheek was very swollen. He then checked her neck and behind her ears and said that they were all very swollen. I got a call from our dr today stating that our dentist called him with this info and that they would like to take a blood test. What could cause this and what are they checking for? She has not been sick and has been on antibiotics...any info would help
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
I am a pediatrician.
Multiple swollen lymph nodes may be due to infections, inflammations and rarely even malignancies.
The exact cause may need to be diagnosed via a blood test, or sometimes by putting a needle in one of the lymph nodes (FNAC) to find the exact cause.
Regards
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
on an initial blood test that they will do today will this information show up what could be causing this or will it be to rule out infection or inflamation?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
The initial test may be done to rule out infection, and inflammation. Later further tests maybe planned as per these reports,
regards
Dr. Gupta