DrNowicki
DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience:  >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds
5583463

I have been having lower abdominal pain, both sides for a ...

I have been having lower abdominal pain, both sides for a month. i went to doctors , which they gave me a test for urinary tract infction and for diverticulitus, both came back negative. The pain is still there and now seem to have a softened stool with anal itching. any direction i could look in
Category: Health
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 6 years ago.

HI there.

One of the most common cause of perianal itching is food allergies. Considering you have abdominal pain, stool changes, and anal itching, I would strongly recommend you be tested for food allergies. This should include testing for both IgE and IgG allergies. These are two different types of allergic reactions that can occur. You can find more info about IgG testing here: www.betterhealthusa.com

Other possible causes include medications, laxatives, and infections. Pinworms commonly cause anal itching and can lead to abdominal pain and stool changes also. You can find more info about perianal itching here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anal-itching/DS00453/DSECTION=1

Constipation and gas can also contribute to your symptoms. These often have a primary cause that needs to be determined.

At this point, I would suggest you see your doctor to discuss further testing for pinworms, food allergies, and constipaiton. Depending on the cause, proper treatment can then be provided.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dr.John

Please check ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my work. Although you already paid, I do not receive credit until you check ACCEPT. Positive FEEDBACK and BONUSES are appreciated.

DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience: >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more question. the abdominal pain, mostly lower left seems to have spread to both sides. and some bloating with it. these symptoms came before the perianal itching. does that change anything? also the antibiotic i took for diverticulitus avelox 400mg, would that have any effect on pinworms?
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 6 years ago.

Hello again.

Thanks for the reply.

The antibiotic would not have any effect on the pinworms. Pinworms need to be treated with an antihelminthic (anti-parasite) medication. This would need to be tested for first as these medicaitons are quite strong.

The antibiotic may have aggravated the symptoms as antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria. Our digestive tract is filled with bacteria that help us digest our food. There are both beneficial bacteria and harmful bacteria. Antibiotics do not distinguish between the two. If the balance of good and bad bacteria is disrupted, adverse digestive symptoms, such as gas, bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea can develop. This can be corrected by taking good bacteria (probiotics) to help recolonize the digestive tract with the good bacteria. I often suggest my patients take 9-15 billion colonies per day of a dairy free probiotic. The bacteria I suggest they look for are Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacteria. Jarrow is a good brand that can be found over the counter. I also suggest finding a probiotic that is dairy free.

I have found patients in my practice respond well to dietary changes, the addition of probiotics (such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, and bifidobacteria), and digestive enzymes (such as protease, lipase, pepsin, trypsin, chymotrypsin, etc). Often these changes relieve digestive symptoms. It is important to talk to your doctor before beginning any treatment.

There has been research done linking a certain bacteria found in the digestive tract that when presented with the food additive carageenan leads to inflammatory bowel disease. Although you may not have inflammatory bowel, it may be worth a trial of avoiding carageenan in your diet.

As I said before, I would also suggest checking out the following website: www.betterhealthusa.com It provides information regarding a blood test which you may find beneficial. There is a great amount of research linking IgG food allegies with digestive symptoms. Food senstivities often present with a variety of symptoms. Conventionally they are not tested for although research indicates that approximately 95% of individuals in the US suffer from some type of adverse food reaction. In addition, gluten sensitivity should also be ruled out. Although this it would be a bit unusual to beome gluten intolerant later in life, it is possible. Gluten is a component found in grains such as wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, and tritacale. You can find out more about gluten sensitivity here: http://www.celiac.com/

I would also suggest you see a gastroenterologist for further testing if the symptoms persist or if you notice a worsening of symptoms (worsening abdominal pain, fever, blood in stool).

I hope you find this information helpful.

-Dr.John