Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

What does a high psi in a blood test

My partner received a psi of 4.9 in his blood test whereas he had a 1 on his last test what does this mean
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 8 years ago.

I would like to help you but I need some clarification. Did you mean PSA when you typed PSI?

Thank you very much,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Susan's Post: I thought it was PSI regarding prostate cancer if not it could be PSA

The blood test for prostate cancer is the PSA test, which stands for Prostate Specific Antigen. What the PSA measures is a protien formed by the prostate. It is normal for men to have low levels of this antigen. If there is abnormal functioning or happenings in the prostate, this number can rise. The most common cause for an increase in PSA is BPH or Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (the prostate is enlarged). Infections and inflamations of the prostate can cause this number to rise, as can prostate cancer.

Its not really the numbers that matter, though yes they are relevant...its more the change that matters, and how quickly those numbers rise. Yes, 4.9 is a mild to moderate elevation. But, did it rise from one to 4.9 over a short or long period of time? That it seems that if levels rise slowly, it is less indicative of cancers.

When your partner sees the urologist in February, he or she will want to find the cause of the elevated numbers. He or she will most likely do a prostate exam...feeling for lumps, bumps, and abnormal surfaces. He/she will inquire as to the likelihood of infections and inflamations of the prostate. He/she will inquire about any urinary problems your partner has...recall, BPH is far more common than prostate cancer, and BPH is a cause of urinary problems in older adults.

Here is more information on the PSA test:

I hope I was able to help and clarify this for you....