Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

I have a knot & bruise on top of my right foot

I practice martial arts, and I kicked a sparing partner with my right foot and bruised up the top of my foot real good. i didn''t kick him with the top of my foot like i should have, i hit his ribs with my toes. the toes rolled under my foot and i hit him with the knuckles of my foot, specifically the middle and fourth knuckles of my right foot. That was 4 weeks ago this friday. I was walking on it the next day, and i dont have any pain in walking. The foot was very discolored for 3 weeks, and is still swollen a bit,. The middle toe is sore over the joints, and there is a hard knot thats just over the joint of the toe just next to the little toe. I would say the knot is circular and half the size of a dime. There is also a slight discoloration of the skin just over the knot. I have been told this is a hematoma, but im not real sure what it is, i just know its not right.
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 6 years ago.

You could of course have an x-ray of your foot to assure there are no fractures, as hematomas are almost always present with a fracture. An X-ray can help differentiate a fracture from a bruise or sprain, which requires less time to heal.

Essentially it sounds as if you have sustained a severe soft tissue injury from the impact of the kick, but you may have a fractured toe as you mention a hematoma. A broken toe may take four to six weeks to heal, depending on the location and extent of the injury. Toe fractures usually heal well with rest and protection of the injured joint.

It is not unusual for bruising to occur from the contusion. If you elevated the your foot soon after the injury, the blood leaves the foot and helps lessen swelling. Resting your foot after the injury, along with applying ice is helpful. Wrapping your foot in an ace bandage helps reduce hemorrhage and swelling.

As it has now been four weeks, the blood from the injury should begin to fade as it is absorbed in the healing process, unless infection develops. If the area becomes more reddened, swollen for you develop a temperature, seek consult with your doctor.

My suggestion would be to avoid activities that result in increased pain or swelling. If your are still experiencing pain, Advil or Aleve can be purchased over the counter.

Casting usually isn't needed for a broken toe. If you opt for an x-ray and it is determined that the break is badly displaced or the joint is affected, surgery may be needed.

If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is a hematoma? someone "told me it might be a hematoma." I have no clue what that is. IS this the hard knot just over the knuckle of my 4th toe?

I can also tell you right now that my toes themselves are not broken. What im trying to figure out is what is the knot that is floating just about the joint of my 4th toe. Is this knot a sign of a possible break or fracture? I walk easily, with no pain. Do fractures usually inhibit walking?
Expert:  Deborah replied 6 years ago.

Routinely, have a foot or toe fracture makes it uncomfortable or in some cases extremely painful to walk.

My suggestion would be to have an x-ray to determine if there is possible bone chip.

A hematoma is a collection of blood that collects as a result of internal bleeding, in your case, under the skin of the toe as a result of the bruising via trauma caused by the impact of the kick. In some cases, a hematoma will form a "bump" that is hard to the touch, which is a sac of blood that the body creates to keep internal bleeding to a minimum. In most cases the sac of blood eventually disolves, however in some cases they may continue to grow or show no change. If the sac of blood does not disappear it may need to be surgically removed.

If this does not resolve over the next six to eight weeks, I would recommend that you seek a consult with an orthopedic specialist.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered NP - Multispeciality