Dr. Scott W
Dr. Scott W, Physician (MD)
Experience:  Practicing Emergency Physician in Houston, Texas. I would be happy to answer any question!!
7435851

Can a tooth infection or periodontal disease affect blood ...

Can a tooth infection or periodontal disease affect blood pressure or your CRP blood count? I have a molar that has had 3 root canals and tip surgery over a period of 10 years and it now has created a fiscul to the exterior of the tooth on the cheek side half way up the root. It seems to be fine for 8 months or so and then reflares. Lately both my crp count 198/l and my blood pressure 130/90 have been elevated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Scott W replied 6 years ago.

Paula,

Yes, a tooth infection can most definitely cause an elevation in both ESR and CRP levels. As far as the blood pressure, infection alone does not usually raise blood pressure. Pain, however, can most definitely raise the blood pressure.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks and good luck!

-Dr. Scott W, MD

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: The information above is not a medical diagnosis or a substitute for actual medical treatment but is intended and should be used ONLY for educational purposes. An accurate and proper medical diagnosis requires a face-to-face meeting with a physician and may require tests as well as in-depth physical examination. To receive proper medical treatment you cannot rely on the information in this communication; you must seek treatment from a medical provider where you can be physically examined. In using this information service you agree that you understand the information offered is only for educational purposes and is not a substitute for medical treatment.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Scott W's Post: Hello Dr Scott, The strangest part is I have
no Pain at all with this tooth. Is it harmful for me to leave it alone. So there is no correlation between CRP are blood pressure?
I hesitate to remove this tooth, it is my last
upper molar, I am down one set on each side and you would never suspect it to see my front teeth.
I really appreicate your help,
Paula

Paula,

No correlation between CRP causing an elevated blood pressure. However, CRP may be raised IN RESPONSE TO elevated blood pressure, but this would be a completely separate issue from your tooth.

For the next question, if you have an tooth that has created a fistula from recurrent infections, it sounds like you do not have any choice but to have it out! They can do great things with dentures and bridges these days, much better than a rotting molar!

Thanks and good luck!

-Dr. Scott W, MD

Dr. Scott W, Physician (MD)
Experience: Practicing Emergency Physician in Houston, Texas. I would be happy to answer any question!!