Susanne, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  10 Years experience Intensive Care and Medical/Surgical Nursing

I have a boil on my buttcrack close to my anus. Any idea

I have a boil on my buttcrack close to my anus. Any idea what it is and what can i do to treat it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susanne replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Boils are caused mainly by an infected hair follicle. They can sometimes be treated at home, but may need medical attention when they are on the face, near the spine or near the anus. Home treatment is to apply a warm, moist compress on the boil for approx 20 minutes 3 to 4 times a day. Never pick at, squeeze or try to open or scratch the boil, as it will cause the infection to be pushed further under the skin.

Also, be sure to gently wash the area with warm soap and water twice a day. The warm soaks will help the boil to open and drain on it's own. You can also put Neosporin or other antibacterial ointment on the boil after washing and also after the warm soaks. If the boil does not get better in 5 to 7 days, it is larger that a ping pong, you notice it getting larger, you are diabetic, you have excessive pain, you have a fever,

you notice red streaks around the boils border, you notice other boils around this one or you get several boils over many months, see your doctor. The boil may need to be lanced and drained by the physician and antibiotic therapy may need to be started.

Hope this was helpful.