Dr. Scott W
Dr. Scott W, Physician (MD)
Experience:  Practicing Emergency Physician in Houston, Texas. I would be happy to answer any question!!

How long does it take advil to get out of your system I am

Customer Question

How long does it take advil to get out of your system? I am nursing and am supplementing stored milk. When is it safe for me to breasfeed again?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Scott W replied 8 years ago.

Although non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as Advil) are not able to be taken in pregnancy, the doses that pass into breast milk is about 0.6% of the maternal dose. Because of this, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NSAIDs as safe while breastfeeding. Therefore there is no need to supplement.

If you wanted to wait until all of the medication was out of your system, you would only need to wait one day, as the medication has a very short half-life.

Thanks and good luck!

-Dr. Scott W, MD

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: The information above is not a medical diagnosis or a substitute for actual medical treatment but is intended and should be used ONLY for educational purposes. An accurate and proper medical diagnosis requires a face-to-face meeting with a physician and may require tests as well as in-depth physical examination. To receive proper medical treatment you cannot rely on the information in this communication; you must seek treatment from a medical provider where you can be physically examined. In using this information service you agree that you understand the information offered is only for educational purposes and is not a substitute for medical treatment.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Scott W's Post: Thanks!
You are welcome!