Kathleen
Kathleen, Nurse
Experience:  I'm a Registered Nurse with 30+ years of diverse Nursing experience including Emergency room.
7453440

A dent has appeared in my lower half of my shin bone. It is ...

A dent has appeared in my lower half of my shin bone. It is now visible on the skin to other people. What on earth can it be?

HiCustomer

Is this painful?

Do you have any health problems or take any medications?

Approximately how large is the area?

Regards,

Kathleen

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Kathleen's Post: Hello, Kathleen, Thank you for responding to my concerns. The dent is not painful. It is approx. 3 cms long & 2 cms across. I take a lot of medications for pain relief on another health problem. I have severe nerve pain since an injury to my neck & subsequent surgery failed to stop or cure the problem. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

Thank you for responding.

Indentation like that is referred to medically as skin induration. It means that skin is becoming hardened, usually the result of some kind of inflammation or infection, cyst or tumor growth, fluid or blood accumulation.

What this ultimately means is that it is worthwhile to have it investigated to see what is literally "brewing" in that area of your shin, the most concerning reason would be an abnormal growth.

It can also occur as the result of poor blood flow, or venous stasis, but your doctor should have a look.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Kathleen

IF I HAVE ANSWERED TO YOUR SATISFACTION, PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT. FEEDBACK IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED.