A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

do you have to break out to have shingles Also can the ...

do you have to break out to have shingles? Also can the pain be on your upper ribs circling around your back. sometimes the pain moves around.Does this sound like shingles? I have had mri,s and ct scans without any results of what is causing my constant pain.This has been going on for 2 months.HELP !!!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Since your pain moves around, it doesn't sound like shingles. It is possible (but not common) to have shingles without a breakout of lesions. The pain goes from the center of the body in front, around the side of the body to the spinal column in back, and the part of the body afttected depends on which spinal nerve the virus came from, in an area called a dermatome. The pain lasts in that area due to damage caused by the virus as it came down that nerve and damaged the underlying sensory nerves. Sometimes there is lingering pain called postherpetic neuralgia after a breakout of shingles has healed. It is treated with pain relievers, antidepressants, and other means.