Pam, Health Care Professional
Experience:  Emergency Response Team, Dental Hygienist, Scientist, Researcher

I am hearing the sound of my heartbeat inside my left ear.

I am hearing the sound of my heartbeat inside my left ear. It has been like this for a couple of weeks. I am obese. My height is 5 feet 2 inches, i am a female aged 38 and i weigh 13 stone and 11 pounds. I am aware this is extremely obese. Do you think i may have hypertension due to being overweight? Could hypertension be causing the drumming or beating sound inside my ear? Let me know, Thank you. Yours sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Thomson
Hello and welcome to JA!

Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? Have you been told it is high in the past?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had it checked last year ( about 6 months ago) and it was fine, although my doc has advised me to lose weight as i am (obviously) an unhealthy weight for my height.

My blood pressure has always been fine when I've had it checked. However, I haven't had it checked recently.
The most common reason for hearing your own hear beat in one ear is due to the carotid artery and jugular vein being located so close to your ear. In some cases, people who gain or lose weight quickly may find themselves hearing their heart beat. The addition of fat can move the artery/vein closer to the ear so that you are actually able to hear your own blood coursing through your veins.

A middle or inner ear infection can also cause a person to hear his/her own heart beat. Many times, physicians will give a round of antibiotics to rule out infection as a cause.

A tumor a aneurysm could also cause you to hear your own heartbeat, although it is rare for this to occur.

I would recommend reporting this to your doctor so that you can be checked out and monitored, or you will be given antibiotics, if necessary.

The following link gives further explanation on why your artery can cause you to hear your own heart beat. Take care and please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Read Vascular Tinnitus
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for answering my medical question regarding the hearing of my heart beat in my own ear.

I have made an appointment with my GP in order to rule out infection and the other things you mention.

I am inclined to feel instinctively that it's the carotid artery explanation, due to my weight problem. However, i would never dream of going on instinct alone and of course, am going to be checked by an appropriate medically qualified practitioner ( my doctor) to find out for %100 sure what it is.