Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

What does MONO % and MONOS ABS represent on a blood test ...

Customer Question

What does MONO % and MONOS ABS represent on a blood test and what does it mean if they are high?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

May I ask your age? Just Answer is not for those under 18.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Susan's Post: I am 49 - the question was about a blood test on my 12 year old son.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is my answer posted?

HelloCustomer

Thank you for clarifying your age. I have some more questions for you...were the mono's the ONLY abnormal or were there others among the WBC that were abnormal? Was the total WBC count normal, low, or high? Please tell me WHAT was tested.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Basophil % was also listed as high - everything else is in the normal range.

HelloCustomer

My answer will be posted in a bit...it will just take some time to type and I did not wish you to feel that you were being ignored.

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you - I will check in a little while

DearCustomer

Treatment and assessment is always done of people and not numbers, so this list of causes may seem intimidating and offputting as I do not know your son or what his symptoms are.

Monocytes and Basophils are a type of white blood cells. It is the white blood cells that protect and defend the body against germs and bacteria.

There are different types of white blood cells, and each type of white blood cell does a specific task. Your sons blood test tested for each specific type, and that number is XXXXX as a percentage of the whole total of white blood cells.

It will help you understand if I explain all, so I shall. NEUT stands for Neutrophils, and they specialize in fighting off bacterial infections. Your sons levels were normal.LYMPH stands for lymphocytes, which specialize in fighting viral infections. Again, your sons were normal. BASO stands for basophils which specialize in fighting parasitic infections Your sons were high, which will be explained. EO stands for eosinophils, and they specialize in allergic responses. Again, your sons were normal. MONOCYTES (MONO) specialize in severe infections.

Elevated MONOCYTES have many reasons...the most common causes are bacterial infections. Several types of cancer as well can cause an increase in monocytes, as can chronic ulcerative collitis, collagen disease, and some parasitic disorders.

Elevated BASOPHILS are found in some kinds of cancers, especially leukemia, hodgekins disease. It also occurs in inflammation, sinusitis, can occur in blood disorders such as anemia and polycythemia vera, and in some infections like chickenpox and the flu.

I hope I was able to help, and if I can clarify further, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Susan

Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. It fully explained what the blood test results meant.
I would love to pay you for the answer, but the system goes to an old credit card number and does not give me a place to update the information - if you will e-mail a way to update the information I will pay asap.

HelloCustomer

You have paid me and I appreciate the Accept.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish my best to you and your son,

Sincerely,

Susan