How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 33537
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

will sulfamethoxazole/tmp ds tab (qual) treat Bacterial vaginosis

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.


The usual antibiotic recommendations are metronidazole, tinidazole and clindamycin. Read here;

So, unless the bacteria are sensitive to this antibiotic also, unlikely to treat it.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: yes, i visited webpage 1 yesterday.   i self diagnosed based on the info given on that page. anyway to treat it w/out physician? yogurt, over-the-counter, ?
self employed, bad market, friend gave me her leftover meds... i know i should not take since not prescribed to me, but if it will save me the cost of dr. visit and rx (no insurance either) would be great.
can or should i try? is there anything that will kick it in if incomplete prescription? ya know, like phenergen increases other drugs potency for pain meds...???
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.


I would say no, to use these medications as they would be ineffective.

Health diet always increases your immunity so good diet which includes yogurt will help you. Douching is contraindicated and not recommended.

See, it is a bacterial infection, so an appropriate antibiotic can only take care of it. As a matter of fact, we are not even sure of the diagnosis as it is not done by a physician. So if you are exposed to unsafe sex, please go to a STD clinic. You can find in your area some physicians or services which are subsidized or almost free for physical examination.

Dr. Arun