Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

will sulfamethoxazole/tmp ds tab (qual) treat Bacterial vaginosis

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

The usual antibiotic recommendations are metronidazole, tinidazole and clindamycin. Read here;

So, unless the bacteria are sensitive to this antibiotic also, unlikely to treat it.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: yes, i visited webpage 1 yesterday.   i self diagnosed based on the info given on that page. anyway to treat it w/out physician? yogurt, over-the-counter, ?
self employed, bad market, friend gave me her leftover meds... i know i should not take since not prescribed to me, but if it will save me the cost of dr. visit and rx (no insurance either) would be great.
can or should i try? is there anything that will kick it in if incomplete prescription? ya know, like phenergen increases other drugs potency for pain meds...???

I would say no, to use these medications as they would be ineffective.

Health diet always increases your immunity so good diet which includes yogurt will help you. Douching is contraindicated and not recommended.

See, it is a bacterial infection, so an appropriate antibiotic can only take care of it. As a matter of fact, we are not even sure of the diagnosis as it is not done by a physician. So if you are exposed to unsafe sex, please go to a STD clinic. You can find in your area some physicians or services which are subsidized or almost free for physical examination.

Dr. Arun