Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

I have thick light yellow discharge on a daily basis.

I have thick light yellow discharge on a daily basis. I have went to the doctor a number of times and they tell me that it is normal. The discharge is irritating me and there is nothing I can do about it. The first time I went to the doctor I was told I had bacterial vaginosis. I was given medicine. I took the medicine, felt improvement for a couple of weeks, but felt the same soon after. I than went back to see if I had a yeast infection, but was told that I did not have a yeast infection. My discharge does not smell, but a lot comes out when I go to the bathroom, and if not when I go to the bathroom than in my panties. Is my discharge normal or is there something wrong with me? My vaginal area is irritated and because of the irritation I find myself going to the bathroom a lot. The irritation started when I turned 22 and has been happening since. Please help! Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer

A yellow vaginal discharge could be an easily treated vaginal infection, such as gardnella or bacterial vaginosis. Refrain from any type of douching, as douching can not only disrupt the normal pH of your body, but can also make it more open to infection. Also avoid any type of sprays or powders. BV is treated with a course of antibiotics. Male partners generally do not need to be treated. However, BV may spread between female sex partners. Your doctor may suggest treatment of your partner if you have frequent infections. You can read more about BV here
http://www.medicinenet.com/bacterial_vaginosis/article.htm
To help prevent BV eat at least 8 oz (226.8 g) of yogurt with live L. acidophilus cultures as part of your long-term daily diet. Consider using birth control pills, which reduce the hormonal changes in the vagina that may lead to BV. Limit the number of your sex partners. Multiple sex partners increase your risk of developing BV by changing the normal environment of the vagina. Only leave a tampon or diaphragm in for a limited length of time.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was told that I no longer had bacterial vaginosis or any infection, but that my discharge was normal. Yet, I still see the light yellow discharge. Can I possibly be allergic to something. I never douche, use tampons, or use powders. I am going to try using a different toilet tissue. Right now I am using Kirkland toilet tissue. Through research online, i have found that the tissue is not scented, but I smell a slight scent so I am going to try a different brand. Do you know of anything that I can do, use, or is this something that I am going to have to leave as is? I also not sexually active, but have been tested for yeast infection and UTI as mentioned before. Thank you for your help!
Customer

A yellow discharge is not normal and all, and is always indicative of bacterial vaginosis or gardnella so I am not sure why you were told that it is normal. L. acidophilus that is in yogurt can be beneficial, so I would most definately try this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any reason why I might be getting recurrent gardnella or BV if I am not sexually active and is there a reason why my having BV does not show up on my tests that I have had done. I am frustrated because I have tried every possible thing I can try and nothing seems to work.
Sorry to be so persistent in asking, but this has been going on for sometime. I have been tested over and over and am told the same thing.
Customer

I am not sure why testing is not revealing an infection, since this type of discharge is always indicative of infection. Risk factors for BV include sex, history of STDs, douching, and tampon, diaphragm, and IUD use. It is also sometimes linked to hormonal changes. Other than these causes, not much is known about what causes it. Another thing you can try with I didn't mention above, is to insert lactobacilli in gelatin capsules, tablet form, or yogurt form into your vagina. You can do this for a week. There was a study of women who did this, and 88% were infection free when they were tested 2 months after treatment.