Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My knee is swollen above the knee cap{the lower part of my ...

My knee is swollen above the knee cap{the lower part of my quads} I have trouble bending my leg
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Since when is the swelling? Any history of trauma, sporting injury, accident or unusual exertion or activity?

Are you on any medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The swelling started five days ago. I was running playing ball. I did injure this knee when I was in my twenties. I tore my acl. I did not have the replacement surgery been fine for years.

When I was playing ball I did not twist my knee it felt fine. Later on that night it began to swell above the cap (my lower quad). Do you think this happened cause I haven't exercised in a while

This looks like quadriceps strain. This can be because of inadequate exercises and strengthening of the muscle. Your previous injury makes it more vulnerable.

Cold compresses, anti-inflammatory analgesics, knee support, local analgesic spray or ointment, and graduated physical therapy can help you.

Dr. Arun