Dr. Alexandria Easter
Dr. Alexandria Easter, Naturopathic Doctor (ND)
Experience:  Board certified and licensed physician, practicing family medicine. Strong science background.

I go to the toilet for a poo very often, sometimes 3-4 ...

I go to the toilet for a poo very often, sometimes 3-4 times a day. It is also quite smelly. This has been happening for years but I suddenly got worried that it may not be right. Is this normal or should I be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Alexandria Easter replied 8 years ago.
Hi BettyBoo,

Three times a day could be normal but four times a day is a bit much. Really offensive smell could also indicate a problem but stool will always have some odor. I would look for other signs of a problem such as a lot of cramping that is relieved with passing stool with bouts of alternating diarrhea/loose stool and constipation, which could indicate Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Or look for mucus or blood in the stool, this could indicate a more serious condition. The stool should be formed and brown in color, not clay or black and there should not be a lot of undigested food in the stool or fat as well. If you are not having any other symptoms other than frequency, I would try avoiding all dairy (including ice cream, cream cheese, cheese, yogurt, milk, etc) for a few weeks and see if you begin having two to three, well-formed, painless bowel movements, that would be ideal. If avoiding dairy does not make a difference and you continue to have four bowel movements a day I would discuss it with your doctor and there are exams and labs that can be run to evaluate for a more serious condition.

Thanks for the good question, a prompt accept and feedback are appreciated.
Dr. Easter