Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae

I have been having diarrhea for one week; before the ...

I have been having diarrhea for one week; before the diarrhea I experienced constipation two weeks before, and for the week following the constipation I felt fine. After eating something, I have moderately severe abdominal cramps all below my belly button 15-30 minutes afterwards, and then diarrhea. The diarrhea is yellow in color and very loose to watery. It has gotten better over the last few days, two days ago I would eat one or two crackers and have diarrhea afterwards. Now, I can eat all day and only have one incident in the evening. However I woke up this morning and it has returned to the same state where i eat something small and then get diarrhea. My physician told me it was probably a virus, ran no tests on me and told me to wait it out. Since it has seemed to get better but now is back to bad, I need an answer. The pain is all over no on any specific side. I also have cold symptoms that may be unrelated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 6 years ago.

Do you have previous history of such alternating episodes of diarrhoea and constipation ?
What is the severity of abdominal pains ?
Are you taking enough fluids orally ?
Any associated vomiting or nausea ?
What is your BP or pulse ?
Are you male or female ?
Any associated burning while urination ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do have a history of constipation, and when I pass stool on normal circumstances it is usually ball-like and small pieces. But no history of diarrhea, in fact this is the second time in my life I've had it.

The abdominal pains are normal diarrhea pains, just having to go to the bathroom urgently kind of pains. Nothing to make me double over. A 5 out of 10, 10 being severe.

I am trying to drink as much as I can, half gatorade sports drink, half water, and my urine seems to be getting clearer and less dark. I was told by physician that there was blood in my urine and that I was severely dehydrated.

My BP and pulse I was told in the ER were "normal" .

I am a female.

No burning while urination, but it is warmer than usual.
Do you have blood in urine ?( Visible blood) ?
Was any urine examination done ?
Were you advised any further urological test ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot see the blood, but the physician did do a urine exam and said that there was blood in my urine and that it was most likely because I was dehydrated. I was not advised to do anything further.
Blood in the urine is called as Hematuria in medical language .
As such there can be variety of causes of blood in urine like urinary stones ,UTI etc .
Ideally a detailed investigations should be done to further evaluate the cause of blood in urine. This may include an abdominal ultrasound apart from urine culture .
Check this link
http://www.medicinenet.com/blood_in_urine/article.htm
Apart for symptomatic relief from abdominal pain antispasmodic medicines may be prescribed by the doctor .
You can take some metamucil as it can absorb the water in the intestine and help to treat the diarrhoea .
Also keep taking enough fluids orally like gatorade to prevent dehydration as it is a common complication due to diarrhoea and can lead to hospitalisation .
Hope this helps
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience: B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae