DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience:  >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds

How can I get a healthy stool

my stool is always loose and would like a proper stool

Gas, bloating, diarrhea, and inflammation may be signs of poor food breakdown. This may be secondary to decreased digestive enzymes/hydrochloric acid production, infection, food sensitivities, or dysbiosis (imbalance in the digestive flora). Eating sweets may aggravate the balance of the flora aggravating the problem. Additionally, if you have been on antibiotics, this too would kill the bacteria leading to a decrease of beneficial bacteria (and possibly an overgrowth of yeast in the digestive tract as yeast are opportunistic).

I have found much success in my practice after running a specific type of food allergy testing. Often people are experiencing food sensitivities and do not realize it. Although you may have made dietary changes you may still be eating foods that cause you a problem. You can find more informaiton about this type of testing here:

Food senstivities often present with a variety of symptoms. Conventionally they are not tested for although research indicates that approximately 95% of individuals in the US suffer from some type of adverse food reaction. In addition, gluten sensitivity must laso be ruled out. Although this it would be a bit unusual to become gluten intolerant later in life, it is possible. Gluten is a component found in grains such as wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, and tritacale. You can find out more about gluten sensitivity here:

Digestive enzymes may help, however, this should be discussed with your doctor before starting. The addition of digestive enzymes (such as protease, lipase, pepsin, trypsin, chymotrypsin, etc) aids in the breakdown of proteins, fats, and sugars. Hydrochloric acid production also begins decreasing as we age which can lead to bloating. In addition, probiotics (good bacteria) may also help as they are essential for proper digestive function. Lactobacillus acidophilus is the main bacteria along with bifidobacteria. I often suggest my patients take 9-20 billion colonies per day.

It is important to discuss testing as well as treatment options with your doctor.

If you experience fever, blood in stool, vomiting, or signs of dehydration (weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness) contact your doctor for further evaluation.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please check ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my work. Although you already paid, I do not receive credit (and therefore do not get paid) until you check ACCEPT. Positive FEEDBACK and BONUSES are appreciated.

Hi again.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please do not forget to check ACCEPT so that I may receive credit. Considering you read through my answer, an accept would be greatly appreciated. Remember, this does not cost you any more money than you already paid. Rather, the money gets split between me (the doctor) and Just Answer rather than 100% going to the website.

Although you already paid the site, I do not receive payment unless you check ACCEPT. I appreciate your time. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DrNowicki's Post: I apollozise for not excepting your answer. I would like to know what to do about it though. Does this mean I have to pay for you to tell me what to do? Shellie

Hi Shellie.

Please do not feel bad. You already paid the site. I do not receive payment until you check accept. That said, if you did not receive the information you were looking for, you can always reply back...Just like you did.

There were a few things I stated in my answer that may directly help improve your stool.

1) Probiotics. These are good bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacteria. Probiotics are extremely important for proper digestive function and help us form proper stool. I often recommend my patients get a high potency product that contains 10-20 billion colonies per serving and is dairy free (this should be stated on the label). Jarrow is a good brand and can be found over the counter.

2) Avoiding food sensitivities. Many individuals eat foods that appear healthy but are not healthy for them. Food sensitivities are quite common and are often overlooked. These can be determined with a simple blood test. The lab I recommend is Immuno Labs in Florida. You can find more informaiton about this test here:

3) Celiac disease. This is a medical condition in which individuals who consume gluten grains (wheat, rye, barley, oats, triticale, etc) develop destruction of intestinal villi. This can lead to loose stool, abdominal cramping, and overall poor digestive function. The treatment for this is avoiding wheat and all other gluten grains. This can be difficult to do but provides immediate relief as the intestines repair themselves and proper function is restored. You can find more info about this condition here:

4) Digestive enzymes such as protease, lipase, pepsin, trypsin, chymotrypsin, etc aids in the breakdown of proteins, fats, and sugars. If there is improper breakdown, food passes quickly and leads to loose stool.

5) In the meantime, you can consider eating a more bland diet consisting of rice, applesauce, and bananas (toast is usually included in this but if you are sensitive to wheat eating bread could make your symptoms worse). These foods tend to be more constipating and may help add bulk to your stool.

6) If you are on any medications or supplements you may want to look at the side effects to see if loose stool is listed. For example, magnesium can lead to loose stool if taken in large doses. You could also talk to your doctor about any medications you are on and inquire about side effects.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please check ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my work. Although you already paid the site, I do not receive credit (and therefore do not get paid) UNTIL YOU check ACCEPT. Positive FEEDBACK and BONUSES are appreciated.