Ms. Alina
Ms. Alina, EMT & Physician Assistant
Experience:  Extensive practice within the hospital setting, EMT/ Physician Assistant - Lifeflight

I have had a very conjested nose 3 days, I have been ...

I have had a very conjested nose 3 days, I have been in bed resting and taking Mucelex, Saline nose spray.   The muscus in my nose is clear and no fever. But my ears are popping and it feels like there are cups over my ears.   I am using breathright strips for my nose and vicks vaporub.   Is this something i should go see the dr for or does it need to just work through my system??
Category: Health
Expert:  Ms. Alina replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just AnswerCustomer

As long as fever, vomiting, or diarrhea, aren't present you can wait. At this time, with your listed symptoms, it appears that what you are experiencing are cold symptoms. This can cause a minor build up of fluid within your ears, hence a 'blocked ear' feeling. If at any time an earache develops an ear infection may be present and you will need to see your physician for an antibiotic.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to M. Strouse's Post: Am I contagious at this point?   How long will the conjested feeling in my nose last? It is hard to breath so i have to breath with my mouth open and then that drys my mouth out.
Expert:  Ms. Alina replied 8 years ago.
A cold may be contagious for two to three days before any symptoms appear and remain until you don't show any symptoms. This is a period of up to two weeks or so. The height of the "common cold contagious period" is when symptoms are at their worst, which is usually around day 2 to day 4 of the cold.
Expert:  Ms. Alina replied 8 years ago.

Saline nasal drops can help with the congestion, as well as some over the counter medications such as sudafed or benadryl. Otherwise, take small frequent drinks to help with the dry mouth. A cold usually lasts 2 weeks.