Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert
163146

Im concerned my daughter may have diabetes but

I''m concerned my daughter may have diabetes but not sure. She is 8 and has very irratic behavior that seems to be controlled by her diet. She needs a lot of protein, is very thirsty, never sleeps through the night, is tired and irritable a lot, can sometimes act "slap happy", has many fears. She requires food often.   Any suggestions? I took her to the doctor when she was 5 and they tested her urine. They said she had high ketones but we did not test blood. Thank you for your time,
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 9 years ago.

It's very possible she may have problems with her sugars. However, without a blood test it's just a guess for anyone. I do highly suggest you have a full blood work up. It could also be thyroid related, as if her thyroid is not working correctly it can alter her sugar levels, behaviour etc. Food allergies could also trigger some of these symptoms as well.

So as you can see it could be that or something else and it's contributing to her symptoms. Having a full blood work would be best as this would give her doctor a clearer picture. If her doctor won't (as he should have a few years ago) or at least repeated her urine test. Then do seek another opinon. A specialist in this area would be a pediatric endocrinologist, so if you need to follow up with someone who specializes, that is who you would want to see.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don't forget to click the *ACCEPT* button and please take a moment to leave me *POSITIVE* feedback.