Andrea
Andrea, Nurse
Experience:  16 years experience-diabetes, asthma, neurology, rehab, long term care, and disease management.
7533145

Is there any corrrelation btween low blood sugar and ...

Is there any corrrelation btween low blood sugar and leg cramps? Last night my blood sugar was down to 46. I took a clucose tablet and drank some juice but I suffered serve leg cramps all night long.
Category: Health
Expert:  Andrea replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JA! Let get you some answers.

Yes it is pretty common to get leg cramps after having a low blood sugar. The muscles become short of the sugar needed to work efficiently and begin to cramp. After you have regained a normal blood sugar it still takes time for your body to get the glucose to each cell that is why you continued to have the leg cramps. Remember to eat a healthy diet on a regular routine (around the same time each day) and eat a snack prior to exercise to keep your blood sugars from falling.