Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

I have a cold and congested sinuses. I have not been ...

I have a cold and congested sinuses. I have not been able to hear in my left ear since Saturday because of the cold, I believe. Is there anything that I can do at home to relieve this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 8 years ago.

Sinus congestion (also called nasal congestion or rhinitis) is blockage of one or more of the four pairs of sinus passageways in the skull.Analgesics, such as aspirin(Bayer, Ecotrin, Bufferin), Ibuprofen (Motrin IB, Advil), and acetaminophen (Tylenol), reduce pain due to sinus pressure.

Topical nasal decongestants such as oxymetazoline (Afrin) and phenylephrine (Neo-Synephrine) provide relief from nasal congestion.The oral decongestant pseudoephedrine(Sudafed) help relieve nasal congestion & you can breathe easily..Eucalyptus oil is should be used in a steam inhalation to help clear nasal and sinus congestion.All these are availaible at the counter.

Avoid cold drinks & cold items.Sip hot liquids and drink plenty of fluids